Friday 13 November 2009

President Obama's hedging

The United States President Obama visited Japan today, and he and Prime Minister Hatoyama had a meeting a little while ago. At the press conference, President Obama hedged the answer of the question that a Japanese journalist asked how he thinks about the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I understand why he did so. But I wished he was wiser than any other presidents in the past. Unfortunately, a lot of people in the United States think it was right to drop the atomic bombs to make Japan stop the war. Whether President Obama thinks it was good or bad, he cannot be able to apologize for the atomic bombs. If he said an apology for that, many American people would explode in anger and demand of resignation.

People who think the atomic bombs were right should visit Atomic Bomb Memorial Dome in Hiroshima or Urakami Cathedral and Atomic Bomb Museum in Nagasaki. I'm sure they will change their minds.

Oh, ignorance is a sin!

2 comments:

Pearl said...

--- People who think the atomic bombs were right should visit Atomic Bomb Memorial Dome in Hiroshima or Urakami Cathedral and Atomic Bomb Museum in Nagasaki. I'm sure they will change their minds. ---

I am an American who thinks that the decision to drop the atom bombs was correct, although very tragic. I cannot imagine why you are so sure that if I visited the Atomic Bomb Museum in Nagasaki I would change my mind. I am aware that the bombing caused great suffering to many people, and I wish it was not necessary. But in light of the tragedy that was the Japanese imperialism, doing what had to be done to force Japanese surrender was the correct course of action.

I could just have easily wrote “People who think the atomic bombs were wrong should visit Nanking Massacre Memorial Hall and the Capas National Shrine. I'm sure they will change their minds.” However, I doubt that is the case. I am not one who thinks that people who disagree with me are ignorant of some essential facts. I understand that two people can be aware of the same facts but still have different opinions.

なお said...

Dear Pearl

Thank you for your opinion. It is a good opportunity for me to know other people's views.

I think that because of the experiences I visited before the both memorials, in Nagasaki and Hiroshima. I had shocked there knowing what had happened. Why I said "I'm sure people will change their minds if they visit the Memorials" is that I believe other people will feel same as I did. (Of course I don't say "absolutely".)

I understand Japan did wrong and cruel to people in other countries. But Western nations was also doing same. (Originally the notion "imperialism" was developed in the West.) And it was not neccesary to drop the bombs to stop Japan. It was clear then that Japan lost, and the dropping just hastened Japan's surrender.

Exhibitions on the atomic bombs were planned in US museums many times, but many of them were cancelled because old soldiers, or veterans, opposed. (In one case President Clinton did so.) It's all right to make decisions after knowing the facts. But some American people interrupt others' rights to know. It is against your country's principle, isn't it?

Histories are made by future generations: especially on wars, winners' logic becomes a history.